Keeping Your Puppies And Kittens Healthy Through Exercise
Providing the best possible life for your pet goes beyond just cuddles and treats.One of the most important parts of their health is regular exercise, which should be prioritized next to balanced nutrition, regular vet visits, and proper grooming.
Providing the best possible life for your pet goes beyond just cuddles and treats. They need to be given a healthy life, one that allows them to remain strong and stimulated throughout their life span. One of the most important parts of their health is regular exercise, which should be prioritized next to balanced nutrition, regular vet visits, and proper grooming.
These are particularly important when it comes to puppies and kittens, especially since they come with limitless amounts of energy. You’ll want to harness their energy properly through proper exercise routines, as this is the only way to ensure they become happier and healthier as they grow up.
To help you get started, we’ve created this quick and easy guide to follow:
For Your Puppies
Your puppies don’t require long periods of exercise. You only need to provide them with up to 20 minutes of exercise twice per day, but the activities you must use must also be mentally stimulating. Mixing the physical with mental allows your puppies to learn focus, ensuring that they gain holistic growth. Here are some of the best exercises to try:
- Allow them to “hunt” for food. This can be something as simple as hiding treats or pieces of food around the house, asking your puppy to find them. You can also do this outdoors by scattering food in the grass, where they can freely navigate.
- Teach them tricks and commands. While it can be fun to show people what new behaviors your puppy has learned, it’s important to incorporate these activities into their exercising routines simply because they provide the right mental stimulation and learning. Make sure to reward them with treats after!
For Your Kittens
Unlike puppies, kittens do not have a set amount of exercise time. You’ll want to play with them twice a day, however, preferably for up to 20 minutes. Doing so allows your kittens to remain active and healthy, all the while reducing instances of boredom. Here are some of the best activities to try:
- Provide them with toys for pouncing, batting, and chasing, as they enjoy using their paws to play with items in front of them.
- Invest in a tall scratching post, as your kitten prefers to be high up. You can also install shelves made specifically for their use, which can include beds and other posts they can freely play with. Allow them to learn how to climb carefully, though! Contrary to popular belief, cats aren’t always fall-proof.
- Install cardboard boxes and other new toys filled with treats. This satisfies their natural instinct to explore and hunt, thereby reducing their instances of boredom.
The Bottom Line
The items listed above are just some of the best ways to keep your pets active. There are plenty more activities to try out there, especially since your pets may also have individual preferences and tastes. The important thing is to remember that the benefits of exercising your pets are endless—you’ll want to keep them at their best, so they can live long and happy lives. You’ll also naturally be increasing your bond with them—making both parties happier than ever.
For more cat and dog articles, The Pets People has you covered. We are your number one source for all practical, training, and real-life tips to help you take good care of your pet. Browse through the rest of our articles today to learn more.
Discover how to create a joyful, healthy home for your pet.
Subscribe to your weekly rundown of practice, real life ideas and training tips straight to your inbox.