Can Dogs Eat Grapes? How to Handle Grape Poisoning In Dogs?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? How to Handle Grape Poisoning In Dogs?

Grapes and all grape-based products are simply toxic for dogs and can even lead to grape poisoning in your pet. Learn more about it here.

SHARE: icon-facebook icon-pinterest icon-twitter

Grapes are one of the healthiest, juiciest, and most delicious little fruits, full of flavor and nutrition. And while human beings love eating grapes, the question needs to be asked – can dogs eat grapes?

A short and simple answer to this is: No.

Your four-legged buddy is likely to eat just about anything that you give it, especially if you are eating the same thing, but as a pet owner, you need to exercise great caution when it comes to grapes and their dried varieties that include raisins, sultanas, and currents.

Grapes and all grape-based products are simply toxic for dogs and can even lead to grape poisoning in your pet. Even homegrown, organic, and pesticide-free grapes are dangerous for your canine companion, so you can imagine the extent of health risks and concerns that this fruit has for dogs.

Why Are Grapes Bad for Dogs?

A lot of research has been done on why grapes are bad for dogs and what about grapes is so harmful to this animal, but scientists have been unable to pinpoint the exact causal factor.

Grape toxicity is still a gray area among researchers and pet owners, and it’s hard to say if there’s a toxic substance in grapes or whether there’s some type of fungus that leads to grape toxicity.

However, while the cause may be unclear, the effects of grape-consumption in dogs are enough to determine that they are indeed really dangerous for your pup.

Symptoms of Grape Poisoning In Dogs

The symptoms of grape poisoning are different for each dog since they can be extremely deadly for some and super mild for others.

Regardless of that, grape poisoning is real, and it’s best to watch out for its signs and symptoms in your pet.

Take a look at some common symptoms that may occur in your furry pet after toxic grape ingestion.

  • Abdominal pain, especially when touched
  • Loss of appetite
  • Kidney failure
  • Unconscious
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Bad breath
  • Refusal to eat or drink
  • Weakness and fatigue
  • Tremors or seizures
  • No urine or constant urination
  • Dehydration marked with pale gums, dry nose and increased panting
  • Unusual stillness
  • Diarrhea and vomiting for the first couple of hours

What Types of Grapes Are Toxic for Dogs?

There are so many different varieties of grapes that a lot of us aren’t even aware of. All of them can lead to poisoning in dogs. These include:

  • Red and green grapes
  • Seeded grape varieties
  • Seedless grape varieties
  • Commercial grapes
  • Homegrown grapes
  • Dried grapes such as raisins
  • Foods containing grapes such as granola, baked goods, cereal, etc.

How Much Is Too Much?

It is commonly believed that grape toxicity or poisoning in dogs is directly related to the amount of fruit ingested.

There are basically two basic principles that you must keep in mind when it comes to dogs and grapes.

Firstly, the more the dog eats, the more severe the symptoms and greater the risk of poisoning.

Secondly, it’s essential to consider individual sensitivity amongst dogs because some dogs can tolerate certain amounts of grapes without experiencing any side-effects, while others may develop poisoning even after ingesting a single grape.

So, it is hard to determine how exactly grape toxicity works, but it does happen, so one must exercise great caution and care when feeding their canine companions.

How to Handle Grape Poisoning In Dogs?

If your dog ingests a grape, it is likely to begin displaying the signs and symptoms after a few hours. However, it can often be quite difficult for pet owners to know for sure or exactly when their dog has consumed this fruit or eaten something toxic.

An important factor to keep in mind here is that the amount of time it takes for a dog to get or feel sick depends on its age, general health, and size.

It is imperative that you keep grapes and all grape-based foods away from and out of your dog’s reach.

If, by accident, your dog ends up eating grapes, the first and the most important thing for you to do is seek immediate veterinary care. You can handle grape poisoning in dogs by getting help as early as possible in order to prevent the symptoms from worsening.

If you manage to take quick action and get lucky enough, you can even prevent the side effects of grape consumption in your furry buddy.

How Is Grape Poisoning Diagnosed and Treated In Dogs?

Unfortunately, the symptoms of grape poisoning are quite similar to those of kidney failure that can occur due to various reasons, so it’s quite hard to diagnose this specific condition in dogs.

So, when you take your dog to the vet, they are likely to do a presumptive diagnosis based on your dog’s history of eating grapes and the possibility of finding grape pieces in its vomit. They will then begin by flushing your dog’s system through induced vomiting to remove every trace of the fruit from there.

In some cases, they might suggest that you get diagnostic tests done, such as a urinalysis, CBC (Complete Blood Count), or a serum biochemistry profile. The results from these tests will help the vet determine if there’s damage to the kidneys as well as the likelihood of your pet’s recovery.

Other than induced vomiting, the vet might also make use of intravenous fluids to help flush out any harmful toxins that may have been absorbed by your dog’s body. This is extremely vital to not only control the nausea, but also to maintain kidney function.

Final Word

Grape poisoning can occur in dogs without you even realizing it, so it’s best if you just keep everything grape-related away from your pet.

Grapes are toxic for your dog, so the only preventative measure here is to keep the very source away from your furry friend!