12 Best Cat Litter Boxes
A clean litter box is vital for your cat's health and the overall environment of your home as well. We have created a list of some of the best 2021 cat litter boxes in the market. Take a look! Note: We are a reader-supported site. If you buy through the links on our site we may earn a small commission.
A common concern shared by most cat owners is the cleaning of the cat litter box.
After all, nobody wants to scoop up cat poop and clean a dirty litter box, right?
However, regardless of how smelly or dull this job is, it’s a really big and important part of your furry friend’s daily routine. Well, truth be told, not just theirs, but yours as well. A clean litter box is vital for your cat’s health and the overall environment of your home as well.
This is why you need to find the right litter box that suits you both. When it comes to your feline friend, the box needs to be easily accessible, spacious enough, open or enclosed as per your cat’s preferences, and of course, super private because cats always want to do their business privately.
In terms of a cat owner’s needs, the litter box should be easy to clean, easy to store, and durable enough so that it lasts for a long time without you having to keep changing it.
Factors to Consider When Buying A Cat Litter Box
It’s a known fact that cats can be quite fussy and finicky creatures, and the one thing that they are extremely particular about is their litter box.
Finding the right cat litter box isn’t an impossible task, especially if you know what factors to consider when buying one.
Here are a few important things that you need to keep in mind when buying a litter box for your furry friend.
- Size of the box – you want to make sure that the size of the litter box is bigger than your cat so that it can easily move around and turn inside the box.
- The right height – when exploring different cat litter box options, make sure to consider the height and the walls of the box because it needs to be easily accessible for your cat.
- Type of litter box – there are numerous different types of litter boxes such as closed, open, self-cleaning, etc. Every cat has a personal preference in terms of the type of litter box, so it’s best that you first find out what your cat prefers and then invest in one.
- Material of the box – this factor plays a very important role because the material of the box helps determine the comfort level for your cat. A majority of cat litter boxes are made of plastic mainly because this material doesn’t absorb unpleasant odors. Some are highly eco-friendly and are made of 100% recycled paper. You will also find wooden litter boxes that add quite a nice touch to your overall home décor.
The Best Cat Litter Boxes In The Market
The market for cat litter boxes is massive, to say the least.
This goes to show how vital this accessory is for a cat and the importance it plays in their lives.
As a pet owner, you are likely to be a little confused as to which litter box you should get for your cat. However, you need not worry because we have created a list of some of the best cat litter boxes in the market.
Take a look!
1. Nature’s Miracle Disposable Cat Litter Box
Do you happen to travel frequently with your cat on a regular basis? If yes, the Nature’s Miracle Disposable Cat Litter Box is the best thing on the market for you!
This litter box provides a great opportunity for your furry friend to do their business when you are on the go. The best part? It’s disposable, so you can easily get rid of it when needed.
- It comes in a variety of sizes, including regular and jumbo, which is just ideal for large cats or multiple cats.
- It’s constructed with an eco-friendly material that makes it easy for cat owners to dispose of the box without causing any harm to the environment.
- The box is made of baking soda that acts as a shield against ammonia and foul odors, preventing you and your feline friend from suffering from unwanted smells.
- The construction is super strong, which means it won’t leak or shred.
- It is made of recycled paper and is perfectly safe for landfills.
- Suitable for all types of litter.
- Allows you to use it in three ways: as a litter pan liner, on its own, and in cages and carriers.
- Features a superior kind of 2-in-1 odor control technology that works amazingly well to fight tough cat odors.
- Ensures a hassle-free cleanup as you can simply dispose of it when your cat is done using the box.
- Each pack has two or three litter boxes, which makes it super easy and convenient for cat owners to go on long trips with their furry friends.
2. Nature’s Miracle Silver Oval Hooded Litter Box
If your furry companion prefers an enclosed, hooded kind of litter box, you might want to take a look at this Nature’s Miracle Silver Oval Hooded Litter Box.
It’s a great sturdy cat litter box with a hood that helps prevent the litter from scattering as well as leaks from spraying.
- The box is made of plastic and weighs 3.7 pounds.
- Comes with a charcoal filter that helps absorbs all kinds of odors and keeps the box smelling fresh all the time.
- Features a built-in odor neutralizer that fights strong odors and smells.
- It is constructed with a flip-top front opening and super easy to use snap latches that allow a hassle-free and quick cleanup process.
- Has a non-stick surface that prevents odor buildup and also eliminates accumulated litter.
- The hooded enclosure provides maximum privacy to your feline friend.
- The box has a very simple design with a convenient front-entry for cats.
- The litter box measures 25.25 x 18.75 x 16.5 inches.
3. Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Advanced High-Sided Cat Litter Box
Featuring prominent high sides, the Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Advanced High Sided Cat Litter Box works really well for keeping cat litter right inside the box without scattering anywhere outside of it.
If your kitty prefers an open litter box with an accessible entrance, it might just really love this one.
- Features an antimicrobial coating that prevents bacterial accumulation inside the litter box.
- Comes with high wall designs that keep the litter inside the box.
- Has a very easy-to-use and handle open design, which is ideal for cats that like easily accessible litter, and it also makes spot cleaning a totally hassle-free process.
- The non-stick surface allows quick and easy cleaning.
- It is ideal for both single cats as well as multi-cat households.
4. Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System
When it comes to cat litter boxes, most cat owners are often concerned about the smells and the cleaning process. However, you no longer have to worry about that because Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter Box System offers a great solution!
This litter box will change the way you think about the whole cleaning process because it comes with a unique system that aims to make things super easy and convenient for pet owners.
- This cat litter box comes with four breeze pads, a litter scoop, and a 3.5 lb. bag of Breeze litter pellets.
- The litter pellets have been specially designed for cats, are feline-friendly, 99% dust-free, dehydrating and anti-tracking, which help prevent your home from getting dirty.
- It measures 16.5 x 21 x 10.5 inches and weighs about 9.3 pounds.
- The litter scoop that comes with it ensures an easy cleanup process, and it also easily hooks on to the side of the pan, making it super accessible.
- There’s a handy sliding drawer with the help of which you can change the disposable litter pad without having to remove the litter or disassemble the box.
- It features quite a unique grated floor that is pass-through, and it helps moisture drain into the litter pad, which has impressive odor-controlling and absorbent qualities.
5. Petmate Basic Hooded Cat Litter Pan
No cat owner fancies cleaning up scattered litter or dealing with a complicated litter box, right?
Lucky for you, this Petmate Basic Hooded Cat Litter Pan aims to remove all your concerns and give you plus your furry friend a comfortable and hassle-free experience.
This cat litter box is all about a cat’s privacy and is designed in a way that will provide a clean, private place for your pet to do its business without any problem!
- Comes with a basic hood that protects the floors and your entire home from litter scatter as well as spray issues.
- Has a lower point entry, which easily lets your cat get inside the box and do its business in peace.
- Highly durable and is meant to last you a long time.
- The box has high walls and a hood that is easily removable for an easier cleaning process.
- It also comes with a replaceable carbon filter that eliminates nasty odors and makes sure that your home smells fresh and nice at all times.
- Has a hi-back open pan that offers adequate space to your pet and allows it to move freely inside the box.
- Features a flip-top jumbo hooded litter pan with an innovative door that lifts quite easily and adopts a secure position that lets you clean the litter without having to remove the hood completely.
- Ideal for large and messy cats that tend to scatter their litter.
6. Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
Some cats are particularly private about doing their business and prefer enclosed litter boxes with well-designed hoods or tops.
If your cat belongs to the same category, the Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan certainly won’t disappoint you or your cat.
- Comes with a wide top opening that provides easy and increased access to your cat.
- It is big enough to let your cat move inside freely and turn around.
- Has really high walls that provide maximum privacy to your feline friend to do its business,
- The height of the box allows cats to cover the waste in the litter without scattering or spilling anything on the floor.
- Has a grated top that helps remove the litter stuck to your cat’s paws as they exit from the box, ensuring that the litter collects in the pan below.
- Features built-in handles that make it very easy for pet owners to pour out the old litter and replacing it with the new one. The handles can also be used to hang the litter scoop when it’s not in use.
- It’s a highly eco-friendly litter box option considering the fact that it is constructed with 95% pre-consumer recyclable materials.
- The wide top entry space allows the box to easily accommodate larger cats.
7. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter
Ever came across a cat litter box that is also a great home décor accessory? Sounds strange, doesn’t it?
Well, it’s absolutely real! The Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter isn’t your average litter box – it’s more than that!
It’s a two-in-one cat litter box that has been cleverly and creatively disguised as a striking house plant. The best part? The plant on the top is life-like, but not real, so you never have to worry about watering it!
- Serves as an excellent home décor accessory.
- Comes with a two-piece bottom that might look like a real clay pot, but actually isn’t, and is extremely well cut-out, allowing your cat to do its business in private.
- Also comes with a dust filter and decorative moss.
- The litter box is made of durable polypropylene, which is what makes it look like real clay pot.
- It is big enough for multi-cat households or cats that are very large.
- Features a filtered vent system that not only gives easy access to cats but also controls the dust and odor in and out of the box.
- It measures 19 x 19 x 20 inches and weighs around 5.94 pounds.
- The base of the clay-pot-like structure can easily be used as a pet bed if you want by lining it with nice bedding for your furry friend.
8. Litter Genie Cat Litter Box
If you have a small cat and even smaller space in your home, the Litter Genie Cat Litter Box is the perfect cat litter box you and your little feline friend need.
The best part about this litter box is that it is made of flexible plastic, which means you can easily make it fit into small spaces without any problem!
- It comes with integrated handles that are well-designed, and they easily come together, which makes transport a hassle-free process as well as replacing the soiled litter with new litter.
- The walls of this litter box are really high, which offers increased privacy to your cat, and at the same time, prevents litter scattering and spraying.
- It is made of plastic, weighs around 1.49 pounds, and its dimensions are 22.3 x 16 x 17.6 inches.
- The box is constructed with flexible, antimicrobial plastic that helps fight off germs and bacteria.
- The sleek design of this litter box makes it super handy and allows proper storage, even in very small spaces.
- Its handles come with a spout that allows cat owners to empty the box without any spillage.
9. Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box
If you fancy buying a different kind of litter box for your cat with a unique design, the Booda Dome Clean Step Litter Box is one of the best options for you.
This litter box features a dome shape and an innovative step design, allowing easy access for your cat to get inside the litter box without any struggle.
- The design of this litter box is ideal for cats that show increased preference for doing their business in a particularly private environment.
- The hooded top not only offers maximum privacy to your furry friend but also gives the box an attractive form.
- It’s quite bigger than your average cat litter box and comes with a ramp that contains litter scatter, further preventing overflow and tracking.
- It is made of plastic, weighs around 5.5 pounds and measures up to 20 x 24 x 19 inches.
- It features a nice charcoal filter that absorbs all kinds of nasty odors, which means you can place the litter box in any part of your home without worrying about lingering smells.
- The walls of this box are curved and non-stick, which greatly helps with the whole cleaning process.
- Given its size, it is perfect for large-sized cats and also multi-cat families.
- The box comprises of a built-in handle that not only makes cleaning an absolute breeze but also makes transport super easy and convenient for cat owners.
10. Pet Fit for Life Collapsible Portable Litter Box with Collapsible Bowl
One of the most common concerns among cat owners has to do with traveling with their feline friend. They often struggle with the idea, especially considering how cats have litter-related needs and wish to do their business in private.
However, you no longer have to worry about that because the Pet Fit for Life Collapsible Portable Litter Box with Collapsible Bowl offers a solution for all your concerns!
This collapsible and portable litter box makes traveling with your furry friend super easy, fun and hassle-free.
- It’s constructed with sturdy and high-quality nylon fabric on the outside and super durable poly-plastic on the inside.
- It’s both collapsible and portable, making it ideal for camping and traveling trips with your feline friend.
- The litter box has been designed in a way that fosters an effortless cleanup process where all you have to do is wipe it with a clean, damp cloth.
- It comes with a bonus collapsible 2-in-1 food and water bowl that lets you feed your cat while you are on the go.
- The box is large and spacious enough for a large-sized cat to do its business comfortably with maximum privacy without any hassle.
- The capacity of this box is enough to hold 4-5 lbs. of cat litter.
- It comes with a handy, durable strap that allows you to carry it when on the go or close it when the box is not in use.
- Its foldable feature allows cat owners to stash it on a shelf or even under the car seat, wherever you prefer to keep it.
11. ScoopFree Automatic Litter Box + Premium Scented Cat Litter
Self-cleaning cat litter boxes are quite a popular option among cat owners, and if you are on the hunt for one, the ScoopFree Automatic Litter Box + Premium Scented Cat Litter is a great option for you.
It comes with many unique features that are super impressive and make things really easy for both the cat and the owner.
- Right off the bat, the first and the most noticeable feature about this litter box is that it comes with premium scented non-clumping crystal cat litter trays.
- All you need to do is load the tray in the box, leave it inside where it self-cleans for weeks, and then you can easily lose the tray, thanks to its disposable bottom.
- Features an unbeatable odor control system that comprises of crystal cat litter, which does a great job at absorbing urine, eliminating nasty odors and dehydrating solid cat waste.
- The box comes with a covered trap lock that prevents you from touching or even smelling cat waste ever again.
- The crystals in this litter box are low-tracking and 99% dust-free, and they never stick to your furry friend’s feet.
- You will find a plastic tray lining at the bottom of the box that serves as a powerful, sturdy barrier against leakage.
- The disposable litter tray means you no longer have to scoop up cat waste; all you have to do is remove the tray and throw it away.
- The automatic or self-cleaning system of this litter box is extremely efficient compared to many other litter boxes, given how it uses almost five to ten times less litter than the typical clumping and clay litter.
- The automatic rake system of this box cleans the entire thing in as little as 20 minutes the second your pet is done doing its business.
12. Clevercat Top-Entry Litter Box
If you are in search of a simple, easy-to-use cat litter box that offers a bit of everything, you will probably love the Clevercat Top-Entry Litter Box.
It comes with a unique top-entry design that offers your furry companion great privacy and lets them do their business comfortably.
- The top entry design of this box eliminates tracking and also keeps your home clean and fresh by preventing over-the-edge spills.
- The high covered walls keep the litter inside the box, making it one of the best cat litter box for those feline creatures that love digging and kicking their litter.
- The top lid of this litter box is partially covered, which helps limit odor release, which, in turn, keeps your home fresh.
- This is an ideal litter box for multi-pet homes where there are dogs and cats, considering how dogs often tend to find their way inside cats’ litter boxes.
- The lid of this litter box has a 9″ diameter hole that provides easy access and entrance to your pets.
- It comes with Clevercat custom heavy-duty liners that promote an easy, quick and hassle-free litter change and cleanup process.
Find the Right Cat Litter Box for Your Furry Friend
Now that you know some of the best cat litter boxes in the market, it’s time to get the right one for your adorable little furry friend.
During the buying process, make sure that you consider all the essential factors mentioned above because if the litter box isn’t well-aligned with your cat’s preferences, the chances are that it won’t even use it and might end up resorting to undesirable and inappropriate elimination tactics.
The best way to go about it is to shortlist a few options according to what your furry buddy prefers, weigh out the pros and cons, and also determine which one best suits your needs as well.
If you have a very busy routine and barely find the time to clean the litter box, it is best to get a self-cleaning litter box. If you travel a lot and wish to take your furball with you, perhaps, you might want to get a disposable litter box or one that is portable, foldable and flexible.
At the end of the day, it all comes down to what makes your cat most comfortable when doing its business. After all, cats love every bit of privacy that they can get, so it’s essential that you give due importance to their needs and wishes.
After all, every cat owner wants to share a smooth, beautiful and lovable relationship with their cat.
It’s worth a little poop and smell now, isn’t it?
Discover how to create a joyful, healthy home for your pet.
Subscribe to your weekly rundown of practice, real life ideas and training tips straight to your inbox.